Source: Rift Valley Institute
By Gianluca Iazzolino
- There are growing numbers of Somali migrants in Uganda, where a Somali community has existed since colonial times.
- Changes in the wider pattern of migration among Somalis in East Africa are driven by pressure on Somali refugees in Kenya and a more favourable legal framework for refugees in Uganda.
- Ugandan security forces and Somali community leaders share intelligence to minimize the risk of attacks on Ugandan troops in Somalia and of terrorism in Uganda.
- Uganda has emerged as a haven where Somalis can accrue financial, legal and educational assets which facilitate physical and social mobility.
- As the Somali community in Uganda has expanded business has grown, and clan-‐ based Somali student unions have emerged where political aspirations are cultivated.
Download file : A safe haven for Somalis in Uganda?