A birth certificate is an official document given to every person born in Nigeria. It is given by the National Population Commission (NPC), which is responsible for registering every person born in Nigeria. The NPC has different registration centers in different locations. They have at the Local Government Headquarters, NPC registration post at hospitals, health centers and other NPC registration centers.
How to get a birth certificate in Nigeria for a child born in the hospital or other medical institution
1. After the birth of a child in the hospital, the institution will issue a certificate to the child as a proof of the birth.
2. The birth report from the hospital is then taken to any National Population Commission registration center in the hospital or at the local government headquarters.
3. When you get to the registration office, you will submit the proof of the birth issued by the hospital or health center. A birth certificate or certificate of registration is then issued for the child. Note that the birth certificate given at the hospital or proof of the birth is not valid. Only the one issued by the National Population Commission is. Also, the birth certificate is free of charge as long as it obtained within sixty days of birth.
How to get a birth certificate in Nigeria for a child born outside the hospital
In a case where a child was born at home, church or any other place outside the hospital, health center or medical establishment, you have to go through the following steps:
1. You will go to the Local Government Authority where the person was born and get an affidavit. This will serve as the proof of birth.
2. Then you will take the affidavit as proof of the birth to the National Population Commission registration center at the local government headquarters or a hospital or health center or any other NPC office designated.
3. When you get to the registration office, you will submit the affidavit to the registration officer. A birth certificate or certificate of registration is then issued for the child.