Source: African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights
Official summary of the facts
1. The Applicant is a citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania and Director General of an NGO named “Tanzania Human for People Rights”. .
2. He sent an email to the Court on 24 May 2015 and later forwarded hard copies of his Application. According to him, despite the fact that he is from Tanzania he was expelled from the territory by the Tanzanian Immigration services because of corruption. He further alleged that the reason for his expulsion was that he had refused to pay them an amount of money they asked for.
3. After being deported to Kenya, he was declared as being in illegal situation by a High Court of Kenya.
4. He is actually hiding in a place between the two countries (Tanzania and Kenya). He described himself as living in very difficult conditions.
5. He has sued Tanzania Government.
Court’s findings against Tanzania:
- Applicant’s citizenship was arbitrarily deprived, rendering him stateless
- Applicant was arbitrarily expelled
- Respondent State’s laws and practice violate international law requirements of due process
Download judgment from ACtHPR website.
Watch video of delivery of judgement on African Court YouTube channel: