Source: Capital FM (Nairobi)
By Carolyne Tanui
NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 16 – Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho now says the mass production of the third generation Huduma Namba cards will begin before the end of the year.
A second mass registration for those who did not previously register will however precede the production of the cards, the PS told a parliamentary committee on Wednesday.
Kibicho was speaking to the National Assembly Committee Delegated Legislation Committee on the status of the program, said that the set up of the production centre is 90 per cent complete.
“After we have done preliminary printing, we have been directed to conduct the second mass registration. After that people will have to be walking to Registrar of Persons’ office in future,” he said
He said the e-card will have all the data merged and installed in an electronic chip hence Kenyans may no longer need to use documents such Identity Cards, NHIF and NSSF cards.
“We are having 38 million processes, where out of 10 fingerprints, what we have in our records and what we obtain must match 100 per cent for us to be sure the person is Kenyan and must be admitted,” the PS added.
He, however noted that there are approximately 14 million people whose data merge could not automatically validated and was as a result taken to finger print experts for reconciliation.
The issuance of Huduma Namba cards will be free except for renewal. The cards will be categorized into four; Adults, Minors, Refugees, Foreign nationals.