The purpose of this Act is to extend, promote and protect the rights of children in Southern Sudan, in accordance with provisions of Article 21 of the Interim Constitution of Southern Sudan, 2005, and as defined in the 1989 United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and other international instruments, protocols, standards and rules on the protection and welfare of children to which Sudan is signatory.
Sections 10 and 11 provide:
10. Right to Name and Nationality.
(1) Every child has a right from birth to a decent name and to acquire nationality
(2) Where a child has been deprived of some or all of the elements of his or her identity, the Government shall provide appropriate assistance and protection with a view to re-establishing his or her identity.
11. Right to Birth Registration.
(1) Every child has the right to free birth registration with the appropriate Government agency.
(2) The Government at its appropriate level shall put in place a birth registration law throughout Southern Sudan.
Download file: South Sudan Child Act 2008