Source: Uganda Minister of State for Internal Affairs
1. The issuance of National Identity Cards to Ugandan citizens was launched by His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Uganda, Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, on 2nd December 2014. Thereafter, issuance of Identity Cards commenced in Kampala Capital City on 3rd of December, 2014.
2. Since then, issuance has incrementally rolled out to other districts of Uganda, and to-date, the exercise has covered thirty eight (38) districts (see appendix). Overall, a total of 3.1 million citizens have received their cards. The incremental roll out to other districts continues up to the 1st Week of September 2015 (See the roadmap)
Closure of Card Issuance in Kampala
3. The total of 1,224,922 persons was enrolled in Kampala Capital City, and were successfully verified for issuance of National Identity Cards. Since December 2014 to-date (6 months), 767,040 out of 1,224,922 have picked their National Identity Cards which represents 73%.
4. All registered persons are advised to collect their national identity cards at issuance centers in each parish where you registered in Kampala daily starting from 8:00am to 6:00pm until 15th June 2015 weekends inclusive.
5. For the avoidance of doubt, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the multi sectoral stakeholder institutions have decided to end Card Issuance in Kampala on Monday 15th June 2015.
Closure of Card Issuance in Wakiso and Mpigi Districts
6. The total of 857,257 and 122,107 persons were enrolled in Wakiso and Mpigi Districts respectively, and were successfully verified for issuance of National Identity Cards. Since February 2015 to-date (4 months), 395,000 and 70,000 have picked their National Identity Cards; 46% and 57% respectively.
7. All registered persons are advised to collect their national identity cards at issuance centers in each parish where you registered in Wakiso and Mpigi daily starting from 8:00am to 6:00pm until Tuesday 30th June 2015 weekends inclusive.
8. For the avoidance of doubt, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the multi-sectoral stakeholder institutions have decided to end Card Issuance in Wakiso and Mpigi on Tuesday 30th June 2015.
Key deliverables of this project include;
i. Registration/enrolment of all citizens of Uganda 16 years and above (16.4 million enrolled; completed);
ii. Creation of the National Identification Register (NIR): (completed); and,
iii. Printing and Issuance of National Identity Cards for the Registered Persons (10.1 million printed and 3.1 million issued: ongoing).
Our target is to have all cards printed and issued by the end of September 2015 to all the registered and verified citizens. The Ministry of Internal Affairs calls upon all registered citizens to adhere to the set timelines and promptly report to pick their cards within the set deadlines.
We appeal to the general public, and particularly to those in areas that have not yet commenced with issuance, to exercise patience as the (issuance) exercise rolls out to the rest of Uganda.
My Country, My Identity,
Amb James Baba (Hon)
Minister of State for Internal Affairs